toolbar powered by Conduit

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Amazing find in NewsArchives from Godfrey Library

While I have belonged to the Godfrey Memorial Library of Newtown, Connecticut for several years now, I must admit that I am certain that I underutilize their resources. Memberships start at $35/year and go up depending on the number of databases you want to access, but you can also access the site for free at any LDS Family History Center.
Last night I was perusing the NewsArchive newspaper database, which is worth the price of the Godfrey subscription alone. I found several newspaper articles from the 1800s-1900s about people I have been researching, but the most exciting was finding my own sister's birth announcement. I nearly fell out of my chair when I noticed the next birth that was included in the article. It was the birth announcement of one of my sister's best school friends, that she didnt meet until close to 10 years later, in a town 30 miles or so away. To top it off, in those later years, both my father and then later my own husband worked for her father, yet at the time of the birth announcements, our families were completely unaware of one another. Genealogical research can be so amazing!

1 comment:

Delia Furrer said...

Hi, I am awarding you the "Kreativ Blogger Award". You can pick up the award at deliasgenealogyblog.blogspot.com
I chose you based on originality and how nice your blog is!